Monday, March 10, 2008

The spending of my national treasure money.. and then some.

So the other day, March 1st, was a Saturday. And I was lying in my bed for no particular reason other then I didn’t have anything to do, nor do I ever it seems, and I was checking my websites. Every day I end up having to check my bank balance, to make sure I don’t go bellow $0. So on this particular day instead of the usual listing of Jamba Juice, Jamba Juice, Caribou Coffee, Jimmy Johns, Jamba Juice, Caribou, balance around $19, there were some black numbers listed above the usual mass of 5 dollar reds. And these positive figures included (1) my bi-weekly pay check (2) my tax back money !! which I was surprised to see quite an amount (3) my first of the month rent check from my lovely mother, and (4) – still sitting there, the saved money my dad gave me for Christmas – national treasure style (meaning me and my brother had to run around the house following clues to find money.. yeah, it was awesome. yeah my younger brother is almost 18.. yeah it was hard to solve the clues..) – my share, of the treasure, to do with as I so choose, but preferably in an exciting or beneficial way (disappointment if I wasted it on t-shirts and drinks).

SO! That said, looking at this I was overcome by how rich I was, and also by how bored and lazy and monotonous I and my life have become, and so, I did some online shopping. I made just one purchase, and it was reasonably large and slightly impulsive. I bought a round trip ticket to Austria! To visit Tara and Shanon in Vienna in April. Immediately after buying it I panicked a bit, what if they don’t want me there, or maybe this was a fickle way to spend my money (I ought to have bought 2 new pairs of jeans and some boots ? bah!), using my tax money to go to Europe ?? flying to Austria for less than a week, am I crazy?

No. I am not crazy, I am getting really excited! It’s important to remind myself that I only live once and if I have the money I should spend it. And especially if I cannot save, to spend my money on something that is meaningful and will be amazing. It’s so hard to just do something, this is a perfect time for me to go because I might never have seen Shanon again if I don’t take the opportunity of my friend Tara studying abroad there – Shanon was an exchange student in my high school I hung out with all senior year. Plus, with me back in the contry I know my mom has really missed my blogs, so I had to do something about that! harhar. I’m kind of nervous because I don’t speak any German. And having gone through Asia and Egypt and Eastern Europe everyone speaks English, but I have the feeling that Austria and Germany (I have a layover in Germany !) will be a lot like Spain, they will be like- learn our language or we can’t help you! But I guess we will see, I’ll have to buy a phrase book!

So! I thought I would give my travel blog the heads up, there will be a new exciting entry for you when I get back to school mid April! And maybe one before that because I’m going home to MN for spring break, and then also to Utah with my madre for a few days. We’ll be in Zion National Park ! Which I have been really eager to go to since seeing the pictures of my friends from Croatia hiking around there! It looks seriously seriously cool. So I bet I’ll post a few pictures of our mother daughter trip there.

have a great day! I’m in finials now with two huge papers due Wednesday, so, obviously stalling. :D
love,
emily lee

No comments: